Good Morning

...or not.  Colin, my dear darling, can be the sweetest angel in the world IF he wakes up on his own.  But if we have to get him up for school we see a whole 'nother creature.

He flops.
He whines.
He fake-cries.
He complains.
He changes from my darling Colin to... THE GRUMPUS!

This morning was one of those days.  He just couldn't cope with getting up.  He held his arms out to me and proclaimed, "Mommy.  I wann-choo.  I wann yo haaaaair.  Up.  Up!  Pick me up.  I wanna ride."  I complied and carried him into the other room to get a diaper so I could get him dressed.  When he realized what I was up to the objections began.  "I don' wanna clean diaper.  I don't!"

I unkindly ignored him and continued getting him ready, but when I tried to remove his pajama bottoms he grabbed them, crumpled his legs and refused to let me take them off.  I managed anyway, after which the whining continued, "I want my pants.  My paaaaants.  No.  Nooo!  I want my paaaaants!!" 

I managed to get him dressed, his teeth brushed, then we were downstairs trying to do the jacket-and-shoes thing.  He flailed his arms wildly trying to avoid putting on his jacket, so I sat him down.  And asked... "Are you the Grumpus or are you Colin?" 

"I'm a Grumpus."  (OK, not the answer I was hoping for, but I have to give the kid points for honesty!)

I managed to drive the Grumpus away with a shower of kisses and tickles, but it was a challenge today.  And I have to admit - I'm tired as well, and it is a grey day out, and I would have loved nothing more than to play hookey today and stay home with my boys.  Lounging in bed for another hour or so, then going down for a leisurely breakfast and perhaps a nice long walk (or a jog!) with Sydney.  Or a trip to the park.  Then a little lunch followed by a LOOOOOONG family nap. 

Ahhhh... just the thought of a nap makes me feel better.  Not as good as I'd feel if I really had one, but still... it is at least enough to keep the Grumpus at bay.  For now

Comments

Popular Posts