Brusha Brusha Toothbrush

Colin loves tooth-brushing time.  We have a fun little routine that involves two toothbrushes (one for him, one for me), small amounts off toothpaste, occasional biting of the toothbrush, intermittent spitting (into the sink, of course), and a grand finale of a tongue-scrubbing.  This has been our routine since Colin had enough teeth to brush.

We started with him sitting on my left leg (which was propped up on the side of the tub), and eventually moved to him standing on a step-stool.

Now we've entered a new stage.  Flossing.

I realize that many people don't floss regularly.  Or possibly at all.  And the thought of flossing for a toddler may sound ridiculous.  But not to me.  I floss regularly, and when I read an article with posts from parents of kids who needed major dental work at ages 3 and 4 because they didn't floss, that was it.

The next day I bought a pack of fun flossers and decided to give it a go and see how Colin would react.  He didn't really know what we were doing, but he got to pick what color we used (orange) and was surprisingly willing to let me poke around in his mouth.  It was pretty easy because there's plenty of space between his teeth, but I was thrilled anyway since it could have gone badly with a quickness.  But the real test was the second day.  Would Colin comply or did I just get lucky the first time around?

We went through our tooth brushing routine and then I let Colin choose a color (purple!).  When I got the flosser out he opened his mouth like a baby bird and waited for me to have at it with the flosser.

Here's to a healthy dental future for my big boy!

Comments

Popular Posts