Shedding

Colin was born with a full head of dense black hair, which all eventually fell out and was replaced with his current mop of brown hair.  I don't recall exactly when this happened, but do remember noticing how he was leaving a lot of fine dark hair around.  And we have photos of him going through the stages (hair, bald, new hair).

Ryan was also born with a full head of hair - his was curly, and perhaps a little less dark than Colin's, but longer in the back than Colin's was.  Anyway, I expected that Ryan would likely go through the same stages as Colin.  And I was right.

Today while Colin was napping I had Ryan curled up on my lap, also snoozing (and making the cutest little snorty-mewling snores).  And I noticed some incredibly fine hairs on Ryan's bib.  Then I looked a little closer, and realized that Ryan currently has a receding hairline... I then rubbed his head with my hand and brought my hand away... in my hand I saw more hairs.  So I've confirmed it.

At the ripe old age of 5 weeks Ryan is beginning the shedding process in earnest.  I expect within the next couple of weeks he'll likely be bald as a cueball.  If we're lucky his "real" hair will grow back in by Halloween, but he won't need his first haircut until he's about a year old (same as Colin).

In the meantime I guess he's in good company since both Sydney and Seamus have been shedding like fiends lately.  Seamus is losing clumps whenever he bites off a chunk of matted fur (a byproduct of old age and a medication he was on), and Sydney is just doing her usual annual shedding.  Between the three of them I'm practically knee-deep in fur, which I expect will continue for at least the next couple of months.  I could probably vacuum daily and STILL not keep up with the sheer volume of hair in the house.  *sigh*  Oh well!

Comments

Popular Posts