Maybe Baby...

Or should I say MAY-baby?

At my regular weekly checkup today my doctor discussed the status of LN2.  He's doing well, in spite of her terrifying me by having me go back for a second ultrasound this week.  (On the 38-week ultrasound fluids were on the low end of normal, so my doctor wanted a re-check.)  However he's also not showing any signs that he is interested in making his debut.

Then, to my great shock, she said that if the baby doesn't arrive this weekend she would like to schedule an induction for Tuesday morning (my due date).  I asked why the induction would be recommended and got the following reasons:
  1. She doesn't allow any of her patients to go past 41 weeks, as the risk of C-section goes up significantly.
  2. If we went past the due date she would want to start doing testing on the baby to make sure he is OK.
  3. The baby is already a "good size" (whatever THAT means!).
  4. She's going to be away the following weekend, and wants to be here for me.
That last reason is a little lame, but the other ones are pretty valid (or reassuring).  And yet I'm nervous now.

In some ways this would be good.  With a scheduled delivery we can plan ahead, make sure that Colin and the pets are cared for, and avoid the crazed rush-to-the-hospital we had last time.  I'll know that I'm where I need to be, with no risk of having the child by the side of the interstate (which has been a concern).  Plus it would be a great birthdate:  05/31/11... if you like odd and/or prime numbers this is WAY cool!

On the other hand, with Colin we let nature take its course and everything was relatively smooth.  Nerve wracking in some ways, but I had a very quick and easy delivery, Colin was fine, and I felt like my normal self again in virtually no time.

So for now the waiting game continues, but if LN2 doesn't get his teeny butt in gear it looks like he'll be receiving an eviction notice next Tuesday!  Either way Little Number 2 will be a May baby, and by this time next week I'll be able to introduce everyone to the newest member of the Sharma family.  WOW!

Comments

Popular Posts