Entomophobia

Last night we got home from football practice and Ryan got first shower while Colin put his uniform in the laundry and got undressed.

Ryan was out of the shower and drying off and Colin was (supposed to be) getting into the shower, and I headed downstairs to start dinner.

Colin's backpack was (OF COURSE) on the floor at the bottom of the stairs, and when I took a closer look I noticed a small swarm of ants around the backpack.  I picked it up and sure enough - a big fat pile of ants, plus one larger beetle.  WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!

The boys came down to investigate, and I frustratedly tried to hand Colin the backpack so he could take it outside.  He refused, and started crying.  I kept reiterated, getting more annoyed each time, that he needed to take the daggone backpack OUTSIDE but he refused.  Then he started sobbing that he didn't know how this happened, and it wasn't his fault.

Ryan kindly stepped up and grabbed the backpack, depositing it on the patio outside, while Colin continued to sit on the stairs sobbing.  I grabbed the Formula 409 and some paper towels and disposed of the ants in short order.  Then I headed outside to see what was going on with this backpack.

Further inspection revealed a thankfully-empty lunchbox, a swimsuit (wet but properly stored inside a plastic bag)... and a popsicle wrapper.  But no other bugs.  I had Colin throw out the wrapper and finally realized... he wasn't doing this to get out of helping.  He was truly, utterly, and completely freaked out.  Over a handful of teeny ants.

I immediately transitioned from frustrated/'annoyed mom to soothing mom, telling him that everything is OK now.  The ants are all cleaned up, I know you didn't bring them in on purpose, and we're all fine.  We can even take everything out and I'll wash your backpack too... OK?

He finally stopped sobbing, and tearfully went upstairs to take his shower.  And I realized... I think I have a kid who is legitemately becoming phobic about insects.  I thought it was just silliness, but he was on the border of a full-out panic attack last night.

Comments

Popular Posts