The End of an Era

Today is Ryan's last day at preschool... the end of an era.  For the past seven years we have been taking someone to daycare.   I can remember my trepidation and tears on those first days with each boy.  Leaving my babies to spend their day with someone else.  Entrusting a helpless infant to people I hardly knew.

Then, over time those people I hardly knew became an extension of our family.  They loved my boys when I couldn't be there.  Encouraged them, taught them, and helped them grow.

Of all the many wonderful memories I have though, I think my favorite, and the one that will stay with me the longest is walking behind Ryan in the hallway at TLE.  Watching him skip down to his classroom.  Seeing his joy.  Nothing can speak louder to me than that.  He wasn't crying.  He wasn't reluctant.  He wasn't just going along because he had to... he truly loved where he was.

As usual, Hari found just the right words, and rather than paraphrasing I'm going to copy his email here.

===
Ms Micella-

I remember the day the doors opened at TLE and you gave Monica and I the first tour of that brand new building. We had a 3 year old and a 1 year old and all the beautiful toys, books, and playroom had not even been touched by the magic of the children and teachers yet. As in Toy Story, the toys had no idea what was in store for them.

When we left your tour and meeting we went home fed the kids and got them ready for bed. You were still weeks away from opening the doors but we had a big decision to make!

Everyone has their own way of making a decision and weighing their options but I have always made the biggest decisions in my life based on feeling and emotion.  I saw in you during that meeting a tough task master with a soft heart.  You showed Monica and I how you disciplined with precision but kindness and respect. I could not have been more impressed with who I was trusting my children with.

But what I didn't know was how that would transcend to the staff that you put in place and the nurturing that my children received.

You have given my wife and kids the greatest gift of all..... A vibrant, stimulating, and expressive environment to learn, laugh, and feel safe in. But most of all you loved them while we were away. If I had a different personality I would actually be jealous of you, Ms Inger, And the rest of the teachers at TLE because I hear wonderful stories about you every day.

My kids have more "firsts"  both good and bad! under your   care than they have at home! And nothing could make me happier because you have been such a special part of their development.

We never had to deal with the reality of Colin being done with TLE because he has been able to continue to see you as he has grown. And you have gone above and beyond in helping both Colin and his parents deal with the challenges and politics of the school system. He would not be the same excellent student without you.
Lastly, our Ryan, who knows no other life than the oasis you have created will now be spreading his wings and starting school. Boy is he totally different than his brother! You have him so ready for this next chapter and I cannot thank you enough. Every single teacher has done their part and Ryan doesn't miss a trick! From Mr Vic's new fancy cars to new fancy hairdos for the teachers ... And girls in his class!  He gives us a full report on the personalities within the walls of TLE.

Now comes the time to say the words I have dreaded saying.... I have been thinking about this note for a month.
It is time to say the warmest but a sad good-bye to people that mean so much to us in our lives. You will always have people who hold you in the highest regard and will do anything to help you wherever and whenever that may be. We cannot thank you enough for all you have done for our family and that will never be forgotten. You will get a surprise visit now and then wether you like it or not! I speak for Both Ryan and Colin when I say that you have truly watered and provided an abundance of sunshine on their seeds and have helped them grow beautifully!

Sincerely,
Hari and Monica
===

Hopefully at some point today I'm going to be able to stop crying.  Because I feel like a really emotional idiot, but the tears just keep coming.  My "little" guys are growing up...


Comments

Popular Posts