Kindergarten Orientation

Today I took Colin in for Kindergarten orientation.  We got there a few minutes early and waited outside, sitting at a picnic table together, and I thought about how lucky I am to have such an affectionate child.  Colin is only 5, and was playing with a toy, but also would come over and give me a hug without any provocation.

We went inside and sat down at the tables in the cafeteria, Colin wearing a little nametag with a blue dot on it.  After everyone had filed in the principal (Mr. Stio) introduced himself.  I met him before when I took the tour and was very impressed - he clearly loves working with kids, he seemed to know them all by name, and the kids all really liked him.

After a brief introduction to the school staff (principal, counselor, nurse, and the SIX kindergarten teachers) the children were called to the front in small groups based on the color dot on their nametag.  They then got to go to the real kindergarten classes while us parents sat through the "fun" stuff.  I was so proud that when the blue group was called Colin walked right up without hesitation (some kids had to be dragged up by their parents), politely waved a little hello to the principal, and happily went with the teacher.  I may hate having to send my kids to daycare, but having done so at a quality institution I have absolutely no qualms about Colin (and eventually Ryan) doing well when they get to school.

Most of it was basically what you'd expect - no big surprises.  They have a structured day, with "centers" and other activities.  Kindergarten has the last lunch of the day because they take the longest (no kidding!), the school offers music, art and gym classes as well as Spanish starting in 1st grade.  They have recess daily, outside weather permitting, and joining the PTO is encouraged.

One thing that did surprise me was that if a child is out for an extended vacation during the school year, even if the parents notify the school, it is marked as an unexcused absence.  This is monitored by the truancy officers of the state, and if it is a consistent pattern parents can and will be taken to court by the state for neglect.  The recommendation for these families, if they cannot plan their vacations for summer, is to un-enroll the child from school.  When they return, IF there is room, the child will be re-registered and put back in their class.  If there isn't room they would go to another class, and if there isn't room in any class (which apparently has happened!) the child would then have to attend a different school.  YIKES!

The other bombshell is that Principal Stio is retiring at the end of this year.  He's been with the school system for 40 years, and is retiring with a full pension but will be working at St. Matthew's school in Edison.  I'm so disappointed because I know how much of an impact a principal can have on the school overall, and there are a LOT of crappy administrators out there.  Fingers crossed.

In August we'll get a letter from the school telling us which teacher Colin is going to have, and then we can see if he and his friend Advay will be in class together.  Fingers crossed.

It is funny, because if I had been able to stay home with the boys this would have been a very bittersweet day for me.  But having sent each of my boys off to their first day of school when they were babies I think I've already gone through that.  Or at least, that is what I thought until today.  There was a moment when I was in there, when Mr. Stio was talking about how quickly kids grow up and how they'll be leaving for college before we know it.  It is a pat speech, and something everyone knows but people still feel the need to say it.  Except today it suddenly hit home in a way it hadn't before.  MY SON IS ENTERING SCHOOL.  HOLY CRAP!  I'm going to blink and he's going to be a teenager, and then he's going to be leaving for college, and what if he ends up moving across the country?  Or to another country???  What if I don't like the girl he marries?  OH MY GAWD I'M GETTING OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry... have to end the post now... I need to start breathing into a paper bag again.

Comments

Popular Posts