Breakfast Club

No, I don't mean the iconic 80's movie starring Judd Nelson and Molly Ringwold.  Although Hari and I both love that film.  I'm referencing the accidental discovery of a Sesame Street episode with a ditty called "Breakfast Club".  It has an insanely catchy tune, and the lyrics go something like this:

Breakfast Club! Join the Breakfast Club.
Don't let your energy go glub-glub-glub!
Have a morning meal,
you'll see how good it feels
To be a member of the Breakfast Club!

I finally gave in and am now letting Colin watch a little Sesame Street.  Why was I reluctant?  I grew up watching Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, the Count and Bert-and-Ernie... but the Elmo insanity made me wary.  It was too popular, kids got too crazy (as did some parents!), and frankly the little guy looked so saccharine I thought I might lose my mind if I was subjected to him.  So I avoided it.  Until now.  Colin was browsing through Netflix on the iPad and found Sesame Street, and before I knew it he had it playing.

I let it go, knowing I was being a bit over-the-top, and not surprisingly it was much like when I was a kid.  Big Bird, Oscar, Grover... even Snuffalupagus (who they now call "Snuffy" for short, and apparently is now visible to everyone instead of being Big Bird's invisible friend).

But it was the song... THAT SONG... it came on out of the blue.  And has been stuck in my head for WEEKS.  I CAN'T SHAKE IT!  I'd be more upset, but in a sick way it is growing on me.  Mostly because it has helped me get Colin to eat breakfast a few times when he was being a grump.  (C'mon Colin - you have to eat breakfast.  You're just crying because your energy is glub-glub-glub.")

Even better... Ryan is starting to sing along!!!

I often will sing the first words of a line in a song, then let Colin fill in.  For example:

    Me: You are my...
    Colin: Sunshine!
    Me: My only...
    Colin: Sunshine!
    Me: You make me happy, when skies are..
    Colin: Grey!

And so forth.  With the breakfast song I was leaving the opening for Colin, but instead Ryan chimed in!

    Me: Breakfast Club! Join the Breakfast Club. Don't let your energy go...
    Ryan: glub-glub-glub!
    Me: Have a morning meal, you'll see how good it feels To be a member of the
    Ryan: breefis cluuuh

So yes.  I have an annoyingly peppy breakfast-advocacy song stuck in my head.  I can't get it out of my mind.  Day and night... it is my constant companion.  And now I'll share it with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmXtVh5hlsw

And to paraphrase Jeff Bridges in his iconic and creepy role... you must experience exactly what I experienced!  MWAH-HA-HA-HA!!!

Comments

Popular Posts