Am I dreaming?

Last night I had a giant "WIN" moment, and feel like maybe I'm doing an OK job as a mother.

I got the boys home, and let them play together while I started dinner.  I laid out two plates, and on each I set a few grape tomatoes (halved), some baby carrots, and raw spinach leaves along with a small amount of "dip" (Ken's light creamy Parmesan dressing).  I called the boys into the kitchen, sat them down in their respective chairs, and... they ate.

Colin picked up a tomato (a food he hates-hates-hates) and said with a smile, "Mommy, I like tomatoes now.  I like them with dip.  I'm eating them first!"  He then proceeded to eat every tomato, carrot and piece of spinach without complaint.


Meanwhile Ryan took one look at his plate and promptly devoured every carrot, tomato and piece of spinach, then cried for more.  I gave him 4 more carrot sticks and he ate them all.  (Yes, he used the remaining dip as hair gel, but I didn't really care.)

While they at their salads (GASP!) I heated up some chicken dinosaurs (aka chicken nuggets)... Colin ate four, Ryan ate two.  They will still hungry.  As I cooked another batch the boys shared some Colby-Jack cheese.  Colin then ate another four chicken dinosaurs and Ryan ate another two.  They both drank their milk.

When he was done I told Colin he was excused and asked him to put his plate and fork in the dishwasher, and his napkin in the garbage.  He did so without any resistance.

No one cried.  No one whined.  Dinner was over in about 30 minutes, and the entire time I didn't hear one complaint.  No one told me their food was dis-GUS-ting, made "yuck" faces or tried to escape the table.

If this is all a dream please DO NOT wake me up!

Comments

Popular Posts