Alllllllll Messy!

Colin has begun noticing that his parents are not particularly tidy.

This isn't exactly accurate - it is more a function of lack of closet (and drawer) space resulting in clean laundry not being put away promptly.  I'm not going to make any excuses for our bed not being made daily.  That's mostly because by the time Hari gets up I'm scrambling to get out the door, so I don't have time and he simply isn't motivated to do this task.

These thing bother me.  In my perfect world every bed would be made daily (with military corners, ironed sheets, and perfectly arranged pillows), all clothes would be away (hung by type, season and color, all drawers neatly organized), the floor would be immaculately vacuumed, you'd never see a speck of dust, and all toys/clutter/mail/junk would magically disappear into their appropriate homes immediately after use.

Those are clearly the OCD dreams of a single woman with a LOT of time on her hands.  Reality isn't even in the same universe, and that's OK.  I have learned to love my messy life, in part because the meticulous order that I love really isn't necessary, and it isn't high enough on the priority list for me to turn this into a battle with the rest of the family.

Last night, however, things hit a breaking point.

I got the baby to sleep, put him in his crib, and went downstairs to get Colin.  He was in the refrigerator (no kidding) trying to open the drawer and get to the cheese, so I gave him a hunk of cheddar and he happily headed upstairs without complaint.  (hooray!)  We got upstairs and Colin walked into our bedroom (still munching on a stick of cheese) straight over to the crib and patted his sleeping brother very gently on the back.  "goodnight Baby Wyan"  After potty and brushing teeth he decided he wanted to go into his room, but when we got there he discovered a pile of laundry on his bed.  I told him that he would have to sleep in our room (his normal preference) and was shocked when he was unhappy about it.  But I wasn't expecting what came next.

Colin looked disgustedly at the bed and said "It's all messy.  This is a mess.  A big mess."  He then walked into our bedroom, looked at the (unmade) bed and passed judgement "This is a big mess too.  It is all a big mess!"

Then Colin walked into the hallway, looked down through the banister to his father (still lounging on the sofa talking on the phone) and said "Daddy!  You made a big mess.  It is all messy.  You made a biiiig mess on my bed!"  Hari: what???  Colin: "You made a mess - it is all messy.  You made a big mess!"

Meanwhile I was standing behind Colin trying silently but desperately to convey to Hari that I had not thrown him under the bus.  I didn't prompt this, or instigate Colin's tirade in any way... it was all Colin.  Really!  (Of course Hari didn't believe me, because this is exactly the kind of thing that I would do!.)

I finally guided Colin back to the bedroom, we made the bed (straightened sheets and blankets, pulled the comforter in place, and all pillows neatly organized), and only then would he move forward with putting on his pajamas and getting ready for bed.

I LOVE THIS KID!!!!!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts