What a Week!

The past week and a half has been an utter roller coaster ride, and if our lives were an attraction at Cedar Point or Six Flags there would be a looooong line of thrill seekers waiting to board.

Away We Go!
It started last Friday (just four days shy of Ryan turning 9 months old).  I walked into the school to pick up the boys, and as usual headed to the infant room to get Ryan first.  When I entered I saw Ryan sitting on the floor playing with a toy, and started to walk over to him.  His teacher was across the room, smiled widely at me, and said "Why don't you let him come to you?"

WHAT?!?  REALLY!??!!

I dropped down on all fours to get at eye level, smiled at my little guy, and he got this incredible grin on his face as he tipped forward and then crawled over to me as if it was no big thing.  I somehow managed to patiently wait until he got to me (5 feet never seemed so far), then whisked him into the air squealing with delight!  He was as happy as I was, smiling as if he knew he did something wonderful.

Turnabout is fair play, so I did the same thing to both Colin and Hari... why don't you let him come over to you?  Colin was astonished, and Hari was as overjoyed as I was.

Scary Stuff
Sunday night Colin woke up from a deep sleep and was utterly hysterical.  He kept sobbing so hard he couldn't even talk to tell me what was wrong.  I held him and rocked him, which usually enables him to get right back to sleep, but it wasn't working.  After about 20 minutes (no kidding) we brought him into our room and let him snuggle into our pillows.  With a fistful of my hair, and Hari rubbing his foot (a calming trick that worked on him when he was a baby) he finally dozed back off.  When we tried to ask him about this the next morning he looked at us as if he had no idea what we were talking about, then changed the subject.

Status Update
On Tuesday Ryan had his 9-month checkup, and all went well (as expected).  The general status update is that he's developmentally where he should be, is ahead of the curve on eating (I have him eating chunks of food and started him on "level 3" foods about a month ago, plus make my own food sometimes which is much thicker texture than the purees you can buy), and is generally a good little kid.  He's growing (50-75% for height) but slimming down (25% for weight) so Hari of course immediately insisted that we need to fatten him up... as if I deny the kid anything?  HA!

He got the obligatory vaccination (*poke*), cried for about 1/2 second, and we were on our way home.

Hot Blooded
The next day I went in to work, and around 3:00 my heart fell when I saw my cell phone ringing: it was the school calling.  Ever since Colin got dropped on his head I'm always a little scared when I get a call, even though it is usually just normal little boy stuff (Colin bumped his head, skinned his knee, etc.).  This time it was for Ryan - he had a fever (101ยบ) and the teacher asked if I could come get him and give him some meds so the temp didn't get worse.

I assumed this was just a mild reaction to the vaccination (he's had reactions before) and brought him home.  A quick dose of acetaminophen and we were good to go.

Or so I thought.

Shortly before midnight I awoke to the sound of Ryan crying.  I considered ignoring him (still trying to get the kid to sleep through the night) but went over and reached into the crib... HOT!  The poor kid was burning up!  I took him in the other bedroom, took his temperature... 104.8ยบ  That is not a typo - it was nearly 105.  I've never seen a temperature like that, ever.  I called Hari and we launched into action.  I stripped Ryan down and got him in a lukewarm bath while Hari got the meds.  I gave him another dose of acetaminophen and thankfully it was down to a meager 102.8ยบ in 15 minutes, otherwise we were preparing for an ER visit.

On the Mend
I thought Ryan was better last night, as the fever seemed to have subsided and we were on our way back to health.

Psych!
Just when I thought we were out of the woods, Ryan's fever spiked again (up to 103) and (just for fun) his eye was crusted shut with some horrible yellow eye-goo.  (Not exactly pinkeye, since his eye wasn't red, but otherwise looked just like that.)


WHAT?
Working from home with poor sick Ryan for two days had a payoff though... I was sitting on the sofa working as he crawled around the house.  Ryan then came over to me, nudged my leg with his head, and clear as day said "Mmmmmmama."  What?  WHAT?!?!  Did you really finally say it, or am I hearing things???  He then sat, looked up at me, and said it again: "Mmmmama!"  Wheeeee!!!!  After weeks (or possibly months) of Dada this and Dada that, I finally got a Mama!

These kids... what an adventure our lives have become!

Comments

Popular Posts