Standing Tall

This weekend I noticed Ryan in his crib, with his little hands up on the railing, looking through the bars at me.  I swear I think I could see his desperate grip on that bar from across the room.  The slight strain in his arms as he... uuuunnnnh!... STOOD UP!

Yep, that's right.  Our little guy is now able to stand.  He of course is holding on to things to get there, and isn't entirely steady, but this is a giant step forward from just a couple of weeks back when I would place him in a standing position and he would eventually just start to cry because he (I'm not kidding!) didn't know how to sit down.  I've read about this, but Colin never had the issue - when he was standing and got tired he just plopped down.  Not Ryan... he would look around for assistance, then start to moan a bit, looking ever more wobbly, then he'd start to cry!

Anyway, that's all part of the past now.  He's able to stand on his own, and has figured out how to do a plop-on-your-butt landing.  I can only imagine that cruising will be on his agenda soon... and once he starts walking I suppose all bets are off.  I'll probably drop 5 pounds (hooray!) just from chaing these two hooligans around the house!

Meanwhile Colin continues to amaze me.  His language skills are leap-frogging as he learns more and more intracate ways to express himself.  Yesterday was a perfect example.

We were nearly home from a walk (Colin, Ryan, Sydney and I had gone out to enjoy the incredibly warm weather) when we saw a man from the neighborhood.  The guy is a little slow, but as nice as could be so I stopped to say hello.  He commented on what a beautiful dog Sydney is (I had to agree!) and said how he misses his dog, then we each went on our way.

Colin really took this in...

C: Mommy, the man misses his dog?
Me: Yes, he misses his dog.
C: He's saaaad. (said in a very sad little boy voice - he clearly "got" it)
Me: Yes, I suppose he is sad.
C: I don't miss Sydney, she's right here.  She's my best friend.  (reaching over to hug Syd) I'm happy!
Me: Yes, Colin, we love our Sydney.
C: I don't miss her - she's my friend here.

In the space of a 2-sentence conversation Colin grasped that the man missed his dog, that his dog was gone and it made him sad, and that our dog was still here and that Colin was happy about it.  Maybe I'm just an over-gushy mom (probably true!) who thinks everything her kid does is amazing.  But I am constantly impressed at Colin's ability to grasp intangible concepts. 

He and Ryan also remind me on a daily basis how important it is to appreciate all the little things in life.  Because really - those aren't the little things.  The little things like taking a walk, noticing a flock of geese, stopping to watch a squirrel, taking a look at the "flowers" (sometimes referred to as weeds!) growing in someone's yard, eating dinner together, running a race together around the downstairs, or just having a silly moment or two... those are the big important things.  Those are the moments that make up the memories that I know I'm going to treasure for the rest of my life.

Comments

Popular Posts