Happy Jack

Ryan is one seriously happy little baby.  Not that he doesn't have his moments when he can be a little beast, because he certainly does!  (Particularly if I try and go to the gym... I swear the kid has Lojack on me, and the moment I leave the house he becomes hysterical and won't stop sobbing no matter what his poor father does.)  But in general he's really a happy little guy.

My perennial image of Ryan at this age is going to be him, in the morning.  At an obscenely early hour of the morning he will begin quietly playing in his crib.  He isn't upset, or hungry, or looking for attention.  Just sucking his thumb (or perhaps a few fingers), kicking his feet up so he can look at them, and perhaps checking out the hanging toys over him.  He'll gurgle, make a few lip-smacking sounds (if he's really working on that thumb!) and interject with the occasional delighted squeal.  And periodically he might look over toward me.  If I'm paying attention and he catches my eye, his face goes from generally happy to a giant open-mouthed grin that lights up his entire face.

That usually does me in, and I'll pick him up and take him downstairs to keep me company as I finish packing lunches and make/eat my breakfast.  We'll read a little book between my bites of toast and sips of coffee, or I'll have him sitting in my lap playing with a little toy.  But ultimately I'm just taking a few stolen moments of quiet morning time with my little Happy Jack.

Comments

Popular Posts