Early to Bed...

Yesterday Colin had a very active day, even for him.  While his father was at golf I took Sydney and the boys for a long walk, and during the walk I let Colin out of the stroller so he can "walk up high" which means jogging through the front yards, exploring while I walk on the sidewalk.  He loves to do this, and will cry to be let out and walk if I try and keep him in the stroller.

I measured the distance when we got home: the kid walked a mile and a quarter.  Except he a) didn't walk (he was jogging and/or hopping most of the time), and b) he's a little kid, so he NEVER walks a straight line.  So that probably adds close to another quarter mile on to his overall distance.

We got home, had some lunch, and (not surprisingly) took his nap without complaint.  However instead of taking a nice long nap, which he needed, he instead woke up after only an hour!  BING!  Suddenly he was at the top of the stairs, looking down at me, proclaiming, "Mommy!  I'm awake!"

By this time his father was home, so after a little snack we took the family over to the playground where Colin and Hari started climbing, sliding and running.  They were soon joined by a little girl, who (at the ripe old age of 5!) instructed Colin: "you!  chase me!"  He gladly complied, and was doing an admirable job of trying to keep up with a girl twice his age.  After about 45 minutes, and in spite of numerous water breaks, Colin was beet red and winded so we called it quits and headed home.

We had an early dinner (mostly because I was starving) and then let Colin watch a movie (Babe) to try and wind down.  Sitting there I could see how incredible tired the poor kid was, so shortly after 7:00 I took Ryan upstairs, got him ready and in bed (lickety split!) then came back down for Colin.  He tried to resist going to bed, but mom prevailed and after a quick shower, brushing teeth, and a story (Pout Pout Fish in the Big Big Dark) it was lights out.  As expected Colin fell asleep almost instantly, and I was thrilled to look forward to a little relaxing time with Hari, and an early bedtime so I could be well-rested.


My plan (HA! HA! HA!) for this week was to start doing 20 minutes of yoga in the mornings, and/or walk the dog before work again.  I used to walk the dog every morning, and find I really miss that quiet time... and I miss spending the time with Syd as well.  It is her 7th birthday this Wednesday, and she's so un-demanding... I want to make sure that I keep doing the little things that are important to her (and good for me too!).

Clearly, however, I did not clear my plans with the boys.  That was a cosmic mistake.

Ryan is continuing his "I'm starving" routine, and woke at 11:00 crying.  I fed him, and while I was doing that I heard a horrific noise from the top of the stairs.  Our cat Seamus is 19½ and his health is failing, and I was terrified that there was something terribly wrong, so I tried to shout quietly down to Hari that I needed help (I was in the middle of feeding the baby and couldn't jump up).  Unfortunately Sydney has taken it upon herself that if I shout for Hari she barks madly as well - just to make sure he heard me.  (I'm not kidding!)  The baby startled, but thankfully Colin didn't wake up and it turned out to just be an ugly hairball so we were OK.  Ryan was finally (temporarily) satiated and was trying to finish folding the laundry so I could go to bed.  I knew I still had to go back downstairs to take care of the litter box and feed the cat, but things still seemed manageable.

But of course my little plan wasn't meant to be... Colin started crying.  Hari kindly offered to feed the cat (on top of walking the dog), so I went and got Colin and after getting him back to sleep tried to finish up the laundry.  Then I heard Hari calling up, that we had a major problem.  I ran to the top of the stairs, terrified that there was something wrong with the cat (a daily concern any more).  No, he just thought we were out of cat food.  We weren't,and I retrieved a bag with a bunch of canned cat food from the garage.  And since I was downstairs I took care of the litter box and grabbed a fresh water as well.

Back upstairs, and it was FINALLY time for lights out... 11:30PM.  Not as early as I had hoped, but better than my typical 1AM so I was happy.  I was actually going to get a decent night's sleep.

Or not.

Ryan woke at 2AM and again around 4:30, so I was not feeling great, but was still hopeful that I could snag a few Zs before getting up for a little yoga.  Then at 5AM Colin woke up, begging for lunch.  Yes, you read that correctly: lunch.  "Mommy, I want lunch.  Luuuuunch, Mommy.  Want lunch."  I tried to offer him a squeezy (pureed fruit/veggies in a portable tube) but he re-directed.  "I want a barn, Mommy.  Want a barrrrrrn."  This is "Colin-ese" for a Kid's Clif Bar - a chewy granola bar.  I tried offering water, as well as two different squeezies, but he wasn't taking.  "Want a barn, Mommy.  Barrrrrrrrn

Colin eventually finished, and then started kneading my hair.  You'd think this would be relaxing, but he periodically pulls one hair which is really painful, and is impossible to sleep through.  I corrected the behavior, and kept trying to fall back asleep, but Colin was in wiggle mode.  (Note to self: we HAVE to get this kid to start sleeping in his own bed!)  Then around 6AM Colin popped up, wide awake.  Meanwhile I could hear small cute gurgles and noises coming from the pack-n-play, and I could see two tiny feet poking straight up in the air.  So Ryan was up as well, happily playing by himself.  Colin heard his little brother, and sat up.  "Mommy, what's the baby doing?  Sit up, Mommy... sit up!"  He tugged and pulled me into a sitting position (the kid is persistent and strong!), then sat next to me.  Clearly pleased with himself.  "Mommy, we're sitting!  Look at the baby!  What's he DOing?"

I laid back down, started laughing hysterically and gave up.  Literally gave up.  Walking the dog?  HA!  Morning yoga?  DOUBLE HA!  I was just hoping against hope that I could be marginally functional! 

On the plus side, Colin was clearly well rested.  Moments later he hopped down out of bed, and as he was sprinting out of the bedroom called to me, "Mommy!  Let's go watch a mooooovie!"  I blearily followed and found him in front of the armoire, perusing his movies.  Not having the energy to fight, I popped in one of his TMBG DVDs (Here Come the A B Cs) and went into the kitchen to start my coffee and finish packing lunches.

The comment of the morning, however, came from Hari.  Who put everything in perspective when he said "That's the last time we put Colin to bed early!  It just isn't worth it."  And in a way he's right.  Where normally Colin gets up a little after 7:00, I got him to bed an hour early last night and he woke up around 6:00.  So in spite of my concerns that he's not getting enough sleep, it seems that his schedule is just his natural rhythm.  And I'm changing Ben Franklin's adage.  In reality it should be:

Early to bed, Early to rise,
Makes a mom tired, with bags under her eyes!

Comments

Popular Posts