Turn that frown upside down

So today is Mother's Day.  And I have to admit waking up very annoyed with H, who for the second year in a row played golf on Mother's Day.  I was irritated, frustrated, and a little hurt that after all I do every day he couldn't take one weekend off from chasing that stupid, hateful white ball around.  Not to mention the fact that Colin's fever had returned the night before, and the dog and cat are not getting along since the cat went on a biting spree last night.  Oh, did I mention that after waking up at 6AM to give Colin his ibuprofen, I stayed awake watching him to make sure the fever ebbed.  And I was also playing referee with the feuding furballs.  And after I threw in the second load of laundry and tried to take a moment to wash my face the dog threw up. Twice.

Needless to say, by the time H called on his way home from golf I was in a pretty ripe mood.  I didn't care that he got up at 4:30AM to ensure that he played the first tee time and would be home and have most of the day with me and the baby.  I was mad, and feeling mightily sorry for myself that "other" moms get to relax in bed, not deal with feverish babies and puking dogs, while their husbands stay home and make coffee and do other ridiculous Stepford Husband things I imagined.

But, as usual, H made me remember quite quickly what a loved and lucky woman I am.

He walked in the door, smiling with a loving greeting for everyone - me, Colin, Sydney and Seamus.  He also had two coffees in his hand, a bag full of scones (for which I have an undeniable weakness), and proceeded to make his patented egg sandwiches for breakfast.  You can't believe how good these sandwiches are.  I never was a big fan of eggs, but now... I crave these things!!!  They're truly that good.

Picture, if you will, an extra thin whole wheat bagel, toasted, then loaded with cheddar cheese, a fried egg, sliced steak (leftover from dinner last night), a few jalapeno peppers, just a hint of habanero cheddar, and a spattering of Frank's Red Hot sauce.  I'm salivating again just describing it!  Anyway, with my blood sugar stabilized and my equanimity restored, we moved on with the rest of our day.

We played with Coin.  H helped put Colin down for his nap, and the adults relaxed and watched an episode of 24 (we're recently hooked, and are mid-way through season 2).  Colin's post-nap snack turned into a gigantic mess... he insisted on feeding himself which he did effectively.  For about 30 seconds.  Then it was just a disaster - his face, hands, sleeves, hair, highchair... everything was covered in a sheen of vegetable beef pilaf.  And (drum roll please) H offered to give the baby a bath while I went for a run with Sydney.

This might not seem like a big deal, but H had never given the baby a bath before.  I know - the kid's over a year old and his father had never given him a bath.  So I went from the prospect of having to clean up an incredibly messy baby, to having 30 minutes totally to myself to enjoy an unencumbered run.  After my run I lay down on the floor to do some crunches, and Colin crawl/walked over to me, lay down on top of me, and showered me in sloppy baby boy kisses.

And now, showered and refreshed, with a sleeping baby in my lap, I'm relaxing for a few minutes before we head out to grab dinner at one of our favorite local Mexican restaurants.

What a lucky, loved, and spoiled woman I am to have two amazing men in my life.
To all the other mom's out there... here's hoping you have as wonderful day as I did!

Comments

Popular Posts