Wild and Free

This morning Ryan had his backpack in our front hallway, and Hari noticed that it seemed unusually empty.  So, as any good parent would do, he asked about it.  Concerned that books, workbooks, or some other important material might be left on a table, or in a bed, or hidden behind a dresser... with kids you really never know.

Ryan promptly let dad know that his backpack wasn't empty.  There were two sheets of paper in there - his math work from the night before.  Plus his lunchbox was in there.

My mom-brain kicked in, so I joined the conversation.  Ryan and I were sitting together eating breakfast, and I asked the big questions.

Me: Ryan, are your papers in a folder?

Ryan: No

M: Why not?

R (without any hesitation): They wanted to be wild and free.

M: ?????

Ryan: (smiles)

M: *****

M: (regrouping) Look, Addie and Sydney were "wild and free" before we got them, and you know Addie loves her collar because she knows it means she's safe and loved, and has a home.  Get a collar on those papers.

Ryan: (smirk)

I give up - I can't win with this child.  But someday he's going to make his mark on the world!!!!


Comments

Popular Posts