The Entertainer(s)

This evening we took a trip to the mall where poor Colin suffered through his most hated event: a haircut. In spite of the fact that there was a Disney movie playing in the background, and he was in a tractor chair, and there were distractions everywhere he was (as usual) in hysterics.  The poor woman did an admirable job, and worked as fast as possible, but the only way we were able to get through it was for me to go forehead to forehead with him, hold his arms (to keep him from batting her away) and repeatedly distract him by pointing out the hair that had fallen on my sleeve and arm.  And by pointing out every hair on my arms and asking him to clean me up (messy messy Mommy!) he actually stopped sobbing for a while.  Who knew that cleaning hair off your mother could be such a distracting entertainment?!?

After that trauma we headed to the grocery store.  Colin was in the cart and I was pushing Ryan in the stroller.  We made it through most of the store without any chaos which was great.  Then we headed toward the milk and juice where there is also a train on a suspended track (Colin's favorite part of the trip).  He pointed out the train over and over and over, pointing and making sure we all saw it (even Ryan), then while the boys and I were waiting (as Hari went to grab eggs) I looked away for a moment.  When I looked back Colin had leaned waaaaay over and was holding hands with Ryan.  He had reached down, and Ryan had reached up, and they were holding hands, looking only at one another... it was precious, and a moment I will always treasure.  (I'm also documenting it for future reference since I expect there will be days when the two of them will be wrestling and fighting and I will need to remember this moment.)  Hari and I gave the boys a few moments then we moved on.  We were half way down another aisle when Colin heard the train again... and exclaimed "The train!  The train, Baby Wai-an!  Do you hear it?  Do you see it?"

And so the entertainment began.

From there Colin progressed to making rather loud and ridiculous noises, which amused Ryan to no end.  Colin would make a noise like a loud South American bird, and Ryan would promptly smile or giggle.  This continued for the remainder of our trip through the store, including the entire time we were in line.  And while I know we were a bit loud, I was so amused and proud of my boys.  At the ripe old ages of 2 1/2 and 6 months they entertained one another for probably 30 minutes.  Colin was having no end of fun, and Ryan was the epitome of the adorable giggling baby right down to his teeny kicking feet.

I am a doting mother, and freely admit that I'm smitten with my two boys.  But even so... DANG were they cute tonight!  I'm one lucky lady!

Comments

Popular Posts