You Can't Escape History

 So Colin has a sweeet tooth.  Actually, a whole mouthful of them.  And an insatiable appetite.  I regularly compare him to having a plague of locusts- I leave the house for a few minutes and he immediately goes into FEAST-MODE, digging through the fridge, pantry, and every cupboard looking for snacks.

Yesterday after school (probably around 5PM) I heard an odd noise in the kitchen... and realized he had gone after the coffee pot.  I couldn't imagine why, since it just had a little old, cold coffee from the morning.  I asked Colin what he was doing.

"....ummmm.... nothing"

Colin - what are you doing with my coffee pot???

"........"

Colin???

I walked in and saw that he had poured some coffee into a pint glass, then topped it off with milk.  Effectively making a weak cold latte.  I reminded he him wasn't supposed to be having coffee (kid doesn't need caffeine) but let it go.  Sometimes you have to choose your battles, and things with Colin have been bumpy lately.

He took the glass outside as he sat with Wally for a bit.  I went out to check on them, and Colin asked me for a spoon.

Why?

"Because I need to finish the rest of this" (he then showed me what I thought was an empty glass)

Huh??  Why do you need a spoon? You finished it.

"Never mind, I'll just finish it."  And the kid starts trying to stick his HAND into the glass.

WHAT. ARE. YOU. DOING????

I then looked closer.... there was a large amount of sludge on the bottom of the glass... it was honey.  The kid was trying to get to his pot of gold!

I took it away, shaking my head.  Where does he get these ideas.

Today I told Hari about the incident and he laughed, saying how much Colin is like my dad.  I gave him a blank look, then Hari reminded me.  My dad drank his coffee with milk, and a ridiculous amount of honey.  I'm not kidding.  He'd put about 1/2 inch (NO JOKE) of honey in the bottom of a cup, pour coffee, then top with enough milk to make it a nice light tan color.  When my dad used to visit I'd have to get a fresh jar of honey just for his trip.  He used to buy honey in 5-pound bulk from Costco.

Colin never knew this about my dad.  And yet somehow he developed a taste for the exact beverage his grandfather loved.  Now, truth be told, my dad would have died if you tried to serve him cold coffee.  He needed it nuclear-hot from the pot, and would then microwave it over and over to keep it scalding.  But aside from temperature, Colin is yet again reminding me that he's my father's granson.

Comments

Popular Posts