Art Appreciation

Each day when we get home I have a routine with the boys.  We come inside, and the litany begins: shoes off, jackets off, backpack away.  This is my feeble attempt to get them to remove their shoes and jackets, empty their backpacks, and put it all away.

On average I'd say we have about a 30% success ratio.  Colin is good about his shoes, hit-and-miss when it comes to his jacket, and has to be reminded daily about emptying his backpack.  Ryan is starting to catch on, but has a way to go before I can count on him to consistently put his things away.

Yesterday was no different.  After a lot of reminding everyone had their shoes off and away, and (hooray for summer!) we didn't have jackets to deal with, so it was down to the backpacks in the middle of the floor.  With a little cajoling Colin finally emptied his backpack, and I gave up (yes, I caved!) and was emptying Ryan's.  Water bottles were away, dirty food containers were in the dishwasher, and daily notes were on the counter along with a few art pieces.  I was focused on starting dinner when behind me I heard a little conversation playing out.

Colin: Ryan, is this yours?  Did you do this?
(I quietly turned around to see Colin holding out a piece of Ryan's artwork... a 4-inch square yellow piece of construction paper covered in scribbles, pasted to another larger piece of construction paper, which together formed a stamp.)
Ryan: Yeah!
Colin: You did a good job, Ryan! That's a really good job!  Do you want me to put it on the refrigerator?
Ryan: Yeah!
(Colin took the art, grabbed a magnet and reached as high as he could to put Ryan's latest masterpiece in a place of honor among the other great works of art on our fridge.)
Colin: There you go.  Good job, Ryan.  Good job!
Ryan flashed a giant smile, looking up proudly at his handiwork.

I guess maybe we're doing an OK job raising these boys after all!

Comments

Popular Posts