Saturday Night

It was Saturday night, around 8PM.  Weekend prime time.

We were getting ready to go for a family walk around the neighborhood.  Hari was corralling Colin to try and get his shoes on, and I snuck into the kitchen.  I scrolled through the iPod, and found the song...


Why, this car is automatic...
It's systematic....
It's hydromatic...
Why, it's greased lightning!
We'll get some overhead lifters and some four barrel quads, oh yeah

    (Keep talking, whoa, keep talking)
Fuel injection cutoffs and chrome plated rods, oh yeah
    (I'll get the money, I'll kill to get the money)
With a four-speed on the floor, they'll be waiting at the door
Go, go, go... Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go!

Hari, and I began singing and dancing around the kitchen, I doing bits of choreography from the movie, or just jumping around like fools, as Colin and Ryan watched us with goofy grins for a millisecond before they both joined in the silliness with reckless abandon.  By mid-song Colin even started singing along!

I think back to our lives before kids, and the change is mind-boggling!  At 8:00 on a Saturday BC (Before Children) night we might have been in the city going to dinner and/or a show, or out at a movie, or meeting friends for a drink.  Now I'm hopping around my kitchen like a fool with music from a 30+ year old movie playing on the iPod, having more fun than I can describe.  Breathless and dizzy at the end from spinning and dancing with one (or both!) boys in my arms. Smiling so hard my face starts to hurt by the end of the tune.  And in spite of the sleepless nights, the oceans of spit-up, the grey hairs (yep, I have 'em now) and everything else I just can't believe how lucky I am to have traded my old life for my new one.

Comments

Popular Posts