First Howwie, Now...

Colin has always been an affectionate child, and I'm smitten by even his smallest act.  That's my BIG understatement for the day.

But he apparently has decided that, with the impending arrival of LN2 he needs to step up his game.  And he has!

This past weekend H was downstairs and called up to me (or vice versa - I can't recall which), shouting "Honey!?"  I responded and we went on with whatever we were saying, but Colin took note.  If mama doesn't respond then you call her "Honey" and it gets her attention.  Hmmm... OK.  So now when he really wants my attention I'm no longer "Mommy" or "Mama"... he calls me Honey.  This isn't a one-time event either - he's been doing it daily, including this morning as I was downstairs trying to make his breakfast!  I cannot begin to describe how ridiculous it is to be called "Honey" by your 20-month-old son, but on a scale of 1 - 10 I'd say this is easily an 8.5.

On Monday morning he woke up in a great mood, and immediately said two words.  But I wasn't sure what they were, because I had no context.  Then I figured it out.  He was saying "Hope? Daniel?"  That's two of his friends at school... he woke up and immediately was thinking about getting to school and playing with his friends.  How cool is that?!?  He is also turning into a little gentleman.  At the end of the day when I go to pick him up he now grabs my pantleg and walks me over to the fridge to get his lunchbox.  He then insists on getting someone else's lunchbox... and it is only for the girls!  Angelina, Eliana... the little lady changes from day to day, but he is adamant that he must get their lunchbox and give it to them.  Whether or not they're ready to leave!  Last night he was especially excited about Angelina, saying goodbye to her over and over and over with a goofy grin on his face.  (She's adorable with white-blonde hair, blue eyes, fair skin... she literally looks like she walked out of a high-end children's catalog... so who can blame him!?!)

He even started doling out kisses.  Until now he would accept kisses gladly, but if you tried to get one from him he'd laugh or smile, grab your face in his hands, and firmly push his forehead to your lips taking the kiss.  He clearly knew this was bratty and amusing, but that was just the way of things.  I could probably count the number of kisses he'd given me on my fingers (without using thumbs!), and he's given even less to his father.  But no more!  He's smothering me in them now.  Sometimes just to tease his father (H asks for a kiss, so Colin grabs me and starts smooching), but other times it is just the two of us.  He does it randomly, but last night was especially generous giving me kiss after kiss after kiss as he was getting ready to go to bed.

Itsy Bitsy
But this morning takes the cake.  As we were driving in to school he was begging for breakfast (Food? Food? Pleeeeease? Fooood?  Pleeeease???) and I had to explain that he had to wait until we got to school (about 7 minutes) before he'd be able to eat.  He then asked for "Itsy Bitsy" which is what he calls my iTouch (there's an Itsy Bitsy Spider game that he plays, and that has become Colin's monniker for the thing - sorry Steve Jobs!).  Then back to the food plea, so I knew he was really hungry.  So as soon as we got into his class I sat him down with his breakfast (sausage links, oatmeal and apples, and a side of raisins) and he immediately began to chow down.  I talked to the teacher for a moment, then headed for the door.  I was almost out when I saw Colin running from across the room over to me so I stopped, thinking to myself "Oh boy, it is going to be one of those days."  Because while Colin is generally very happy at school, sometimes in the morning he just isn't quite ready for the day and saying goodbye to Mama is tough.  But that wasn't the case.  He just ran over, threw his arms around my neck, gave me a huge squeezing hug, kissed me, then slithered down and ran back to his breakfast.  He just wanted to say a proper goodbye to me.  And it completely made my day!

Comments

Popular Posts