Growing Pains

Last night Colin was toodling around in the kitchen as I cooked our dinner.  He played with (and danced to) the alphabet "toy" on the fridge, took out pots and pans, threw balls to Sydney, try and (if I wasn't fast enough) played in the dog's water dish, and periodically demanded to be picked up.  All his usual stuff.

He also likes to open and close the cabinet doors, especially the one where I keep the coffee and sweet potatoes.  He takes out the containers of coffee and plays with the box of Sweet-N-Low (those pink packets are utterly irresistible!).  Sometimes he enjoys biting the (raw) sweet potatoes as well, although apparently they weren't on the menu last night.

As he was playing in that particular cabinet I opened the drawer above it to pull out a spoon to stir the rice.  At the same moment Colin stood up.  And smacked his head into the corner of the drawer.

We were both momentarily shocked.  Colin because he'd just whacked his head against the corner of a drawer which didn't feel great, and me because I realized that he's (suddenly) grown tall enough that he no longer fits under the kitchen drawers.

Colin started sobbing, and while I comforted him I couldn't help but smile (bad mama!) thinking about how much he's grown.  How quickly he went from an infant who couldn't roll over, to a little boy who runs around the house and is now big enough to clunk his head on a drawer.  Yes, we need to be more careful (both of us!), but at the same time it was a rather amusing and in-your-face reminder that my little guy is growing up.

Wow.

Comments

Popular Posts