Firsts

So many firsts since my last post...
  • On the night before Thanksgiving, I put Colin in his crib so I could finish up a little last-minute cleaning.  He started crying so I looked over to see if he was OK or if I needed to go over... and... he was STANDING in his crib!
  • Also over Thanksgiving weekend Colin was in Grandpa Buzzy's lap, as we were all sitting at the dinner table talking after the meal, and Colin clapped for the first time.  Needless to say he got a significant reaction from everyone... including Grandpa Buzzy trying to clap and hold the baby at the same time!
  • ALSO over Thanksgiving weekend, H was watching Colin while Grandpa Buzzy and I were doing a project on the house, and the little guy crawled for the first time.  Just a "step" or two, but he was finally doing it!
  • Finally, on Thanksgiving night Colin had his first taste of meat.  And, like his parents, the boy is a carnivore (or, more accurately, an omnivore).  He chowed down and ended up eating more turkey than our friend's 2-year-old son!
Since then he's doing all of the above.  Regularly.  Constantly!  He crawls all over, pulls himself up on the table and ottoman, and tries to crawl up Mount Mom!  He even claps his hands in his sleep (no joke) and when he's sad... as if somehow by clapping his hands it will make everything all better.  Apparently he's serious believer in the power of positive thinking!

He's also eating like a trooper.  This kid likes everything I've given him, and goes at it with gusto!  When he's hungry he does an amazing imitation of a baby bird... mouth open, head jutting forward... and if that isn't enough to get your attention he will then start banging on his high chair!

To date, Colin has eaten (and thoroughly enjoyed):
 - oatmeal (with and without cinnamon)
 - sweet potato
 - avocado
 - peas
 - banana
 - apple
 - turkey
 - peach
 - papaya
 - chicken
 - butternut squash
 - blueberries
 - carrots
 - rice

I realized tonight that it will be my own fault when I have a picky gourmet on my hands in years to come.  His dinner tonight: poached garlic-basil chicken, butternut squash, and whole grain brown rice.  It sounds more like a menu item at a fancy restaurant than dinner for a 7-month old, but there you are.

I also discovered, by performing a taste test, that jarred baby foods don't taste very good.  And frankly don't taste much like "real" food.  The most telling comparisons were peaches and peas.  The jarred peaches had an aftertaste, I assume from the processing.  The jarred peas lost their sweet "green" taste.  (Those of you who truly love fresh veggies will understand what I mean by that.)  So from here forward my plan is to try and make Colin's food from scratch at all times.

And for the record, no, my son is not spoiled.  Well cared for?  Yes.  Am I trying to ensure optimal nutrition in the choices I make for him?  Yes.  Spoiled?  No.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Comments

Popular Posts