LEAP Failure Update

So... shortly after my last post Colin came out of school with a slightly goofy grin on his face.  I asked what was up and he (very proudly) announced that... he had auditioned that day for LEAP Strings.

Whoa.  Hang on there Tex.  You told me that you didn't get in!  What happened?

Apparently what happened is a 3rd grader didn't pay attention to the full message.  So, he went on Friday for the musical portion of the audition where they explored the student's musical aptitude.  From Colin's description, it included things like following a beat, carrying a tune, etc.  I knew he would nail that portion, since the kid is Mr. Music, and he was so freaking happy.  To say that it made my day would be a spectacular understatement.

Things got even better when, on Tuesday, we received a letter announcing that Colin had been selected to participate in LEAP Strings.  He was in!  I got the rental contract for the agreement, filled out my portion (including the insurance!!!!) and a 13" viola is likely somewhere in the process of being selected and delivered for Colin to use for the remainder of this year.  He is over the moon, and so are we.

Then about two weeks later we received another letter.  Colin was also selected to participate in LEAP for Language Arts.

Yes, that's right.  The boy who called himself a failure is now participating in not one but TWO of the LEAP programs this year.  I'm proud that he was selected, but more importantly, I'm glad that he sees what can happen when you work hard and are willing to take a risk and try for something.  You don't always get what you want, but when you do the feeling is awesome.

Comments

Popular Posts