Proud Day

Yesterday was a proud day in our house.

Let me start by saying what a difference a year makes.  And what a HUGE difference a teacher makes.  Anyone who thinks that a school is a school, and the curriculum drives everything is NUTS.  I won't go into all my concerns with last year because as far as I'm concerned I don't want to even think about it.

What I will say is that Claire Pish has restored my faith in teachers.  She is everything anyone could ever hope to have in a teacher.  She is enthusiastic. She clearly loves her career, and understand that what she does is so much more than a job.  But most importantly she is constantly focused on the positive.  She rewards the kids who do the right things, rather than focusing her attention on the negative.  She makes the kids want to be the best possible version of themselves.  She is sharing a love for education and learning with children at a very young and impressionable age.  And she is making a huge difference in the life of one boy who I adore.

Last year when I would pick Colin up I was greeted most days by a boy who was hanging his head, beaten down from his day.  His day revolved around trying desperately to not have his clip moved down-down-down on the stupid behavior stoplight.  Constantly being told all the things that he did were wrong and bad.  It was so pervasive that I started to believe it.  Maybe there was something wrong with him... could ADD be real?  Is my son so unable to control himself that he is the ONLY one child out of 5 kindergarten classes (that's more than 100 kids) who needs to meet with the school counselor?

This year every day I pick up a boy who is smiling and proud of himself.  Confident that he is doing good work.  Shining and happy.  Excited to tell me about his day - what he learned, new things he discovered, tidbits about his friends.  THIS is what gradeschool is supposed to be about.  Happy children learning the joy of books, the wonder of science, the pride in work well done.

This week on Tuesday Colin has his first official test at school.  And he came home with an A+.  100-freaking-percent!!!!  The moment I saw him after school he couldn't wait to tell me... "Mommy, I have a 100% in my folder."  His smile said it all.  He was proud of his work, and knew that he had done well.  He earned that grade.  And yes, I stopped my tracks, took the folder out, and let him know just how thrilled I was as I looked over his test.  THAT'S MY BOY!!!!

Then last night Ryan had his proficiency test for swimming.  He's already the youngest in the Beginner II class, which is listed as a class for children ages 5-12.  He has no idea how proud this makes me.  How thrilled I am that he is so comfortable in the water, and won't let anything stop him.  And last night he completed all of the skills necessary to move up to Beginner III.

Tomorrow Colin will also go for his proficiency test - he's already in Advanced Beginner and if he passes, which I think is likely, the next class is Stroke Mechanics.  WOW.

I have to tell you, we're one seriously proud family.  Way to go, gentlemen!

Comments

Popular Posts