Party Dress

Yesterday I stopped at the store (Marshall's) to try and find a new raincoat for Colin since he has a) outgrown his current one and b) he refuses to wear it because too many people comment on it.  (The boys both have firefighter rain coats, and they draw a lot of attention which Colin now finds uncomfortable.)

They didn't have any jackets (ANY!) so I walked over to take a quick look at the shoes.  On the way over we passed through the ladies dresses.  Colin stopped me in my tracks, grabbed my hand and dragged me over saying, "Mommy!  Look!  Look at these dresses.  Aren't they pretty?  Are you going to try them on?"

I wasn't planning on it, but he insisted.

"Look at this one?  Isn't this a pretty spring dress?"

It was.  He had picked out a floral maxi-dress that was quite lovely.  I couldn't help but take a peek through, and found two of them that were in my size.  He was insistent so I agreed to try them on.  When I did Colin picked the one he preferred, and that was that.  I asked him why he wanted me to get the dress, and he was very matter of fact about it.

"Well, if you had a party to go to you could wear this dress and you'd look pretty."

AWWWW!

I don't have any parties to go to, so didn't get it, but he got in my head.  And now I'm still thinking about that dress.  And about my wardrobe in general.  How badly out of style do you have to be for your 5-year-old son to start telling you that you need to get some new clothes?

Then I started thinking about it.  My "new" pants are probably 3 years old.  Since we went to a casual attire policy I wear jeans to work almost every day (except in the summer when I do wear dresses).  At home I'm always in t-shirts and sweatshirts, and I feel "fancy" if I wear a sweater.  My go-to shoes all winter have been either sneakers or combat boots (no kidding.).

GOOD LORD.  I'M A SLOPPY MIDDLE-AGED MOM!  I'M A CANDIDATE FOR "WHAT NOT TO WEAR" - HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!?!?

We don't really have money for a giant wardrobe revival, and I hate even considering shopping for clothes, but I think I need to take a hard look at my closet and my overall style.  'Cause if a 5-year old boy has realized that Mom is a slovenly mess then the rest of the world has probably noticed too.

And maybe I should start by going back and getting that party dress... I'm going to have to start somewhere, and Colin does have good taste!

Comments

Popular Posts