Grass - PANIC!

Last night Hari was home at a decent hour and was setting up to grill.  As usual, when he went out he took Sydney out with him - she rolled around a bit, then came back in with him. And apparently the grass had been cut yesterday because when they came back in I saw giant clumps of wet grass all over the kitchen floor.

I was trying to work on homework with Colin, but was frustrated by the mess.  Hari then started saying "EWWW!" with Ryan, exclaiming about the mess (but NOT, mind you, cleaning up).  Hari was doing something over by the fridge, and I wasn't really paying attention until I suddenly realized that Ryan was crying.  Not just a little crying, but the sound of abject fear and panic.  Hari was... laughing?  I got up to see what was going on, and saw Ryan, utterly motionless (aside from his hysterical sobbing), looking down at his foot.  The source of his distress?

He had a small clump of wet grass stuck to his sock.
That's it.

I'm not kidding.

I quickly came up with a plan, and then instructed Ryan: "Ryan, you pick up that grass, tell it you don't like it, and throw it in the garbage!"

He looked down at his foot, then up at me like I was insane.  Pick that up?  Really?!?  You must be joking.

I kept at it and got him all pumped up, and he eventually (and very tentatively) plucked the grass from his sock, and with a very angry scrunched up face walked over to the garbage can.  He opened the can and in his sternest voice said "I mad at you!  You get outta here!  You get in the garbage!!" and threw away the offending lawn detritus.

I thought the problem was solved, but moments later he started sobbing again.  He had regrettably noticed that there were tiny pieces of grass still on the kitchen floor.  So, of course, while Hari continued to laugh our son was whimpering and trying to climb up my leg.

I gave up, picked Ryan up, plopped him on the sofa (safely NOT on the ground) and went back to help Colin with his homework.

Hari was still laughing, shaking his head and saying "Yep, that's my kid.  I wouldn't like grass on my sock either."

You just can't make this stuff up!!!

Comments

Popular Posts